Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Canada Day Enters Strange Times



It's Canada Day, except there are no fireworks, no bands and no festivities in the park. Most years we'd hop on our bikes (easier to maneuver through a crowd) and head to the park to see some of the events. Not this year. This year everything changes. But there's still celebrations, life goes on even though we're still social distancing united world wide by that virus - of who, today, we shall not name.

Nope, today we're going to talk about fun things like celebrations, books and squirrels - and maybe a bit about social distancing squirrel fashion.

That's what comes to check out my handful of treats each morning - squirrels and one widow crow - He may or may not be a widow but he always comes in alone for one of the peanuts I lay out every morning. The squirrels? - they're all carrying on like nothing has changed in their word. And social distancing, they've always done that. It's called: "Take one step closer to that peanut and we'll see how fast you can run!" Yes, when it comes to food, the squirrels aren't too social. And this morning, after yet another rain, they were looking a little damp as they came in to see what I may have left for them.

Hopefully, the damp gives way to some heat this afternoon. For even though there's nothing to attend, we can still celebrate.

So in these crazy times - celebrate who and where you are!

And to all you Canadians, wherever you might be - Happy Canada Day!





An excerpt from my latest release and first women's fiction:

The only solace Cassie has, is in the arms of the man who emerged from the shadows of the past.

(Cassie's just endured another crisis with her mom):

Eventually I went home, I slept little and finally gave in to a cup of tea and an old black and white movie. I couldn't tell you what the movie was about.

I do remember that Bette Davis played in it and Russ showed up somewhere in the middle. He was in his uniform. I guessed he had driven by and seen the living room light on--I didn't ask. That led me to guess he'd done it before--driven by, checking on us, on me. All those crazy words I'd said to him before about not wanting a relationship, about not wanting him, they'd been words I wish I could take back. But there was nowhere to begin back-shoveling the sludge I'd spewed out as my life had crumbled around me. With every crumble he'd been there, and I knew it. He'd been there and I'd wanted  him to be there. I couldn't imagine my life now without him. And I couldn't stop saying words that might drive him away.

"I don't have time for anything but Mother," I said while my inner self screamed to shut up. "I don't know if I ever will." Despite all I'd said, Russ stepped over it all. He manned up when I had only let the potential of us down. I've never been held so tenderly in a man's arms--ever.


Now available in audio!
                                       
   ...a world you never imagined!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!

follow me on:

Bookbub     

No comments: