Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Social Distancing - Day 27

 It's Easter weekend and a different weekend then we are used to. Easter with my mother this year involved a phone call as I walked along a path on the edge of the city. The wind was icy cold - strange for this time of year. What remains of winter couldn't melt away today, still too cold.

But back to that phone visit. It's strange to only share phone calls especially today. It would be better if we could at least see each other. Unfortunately, social distancing happened before I was able to set my mom up with Zoom or Skype or...  And, I'm not so sure if she's into me seeing her as she talks. Yesterday, she admitted to hanging out in her nightgown longer than normal. After all, there's no one stopping by.  I have to admit that the temptation to wear something so ugly that it's comfy or staying in your house coat for half the day looms. I mean, why not, there's no one that's going to catch you being lazy. There's not even the threat of a bottle drive crew knocking at the front door. The street is almost empty. No one, except another neighbour walking her dog. From the back, no one except the children down the easement jumping like crazy on their trampoline. Back to the front - no one except the neighbour's children dropping a homemade card in the mailbox. Okay - that was an assumption based on the card. I missed the delivery so I couldn't even wave at them through the window. But I can appreciate the thought behind the card every time I look at it.

The path I'm walking now winds for miles along the outskirts of the city.  It's become a favourite means of meditation and exercise these last weeks. So far, there's no social distancing required - it's empty, of people that is. Today, I did see a trio of robins and a
squirrel. I also had two kindly dogs bark at me. I gave them a quick hi as they remained safely distanced behind their fences and I continued on my way.

The playground equipment in an empty park caught my eye. The swings and teeter totter had caution tape across them and a barricade was placed in front of all of it. That just made me feel uneasy.  I left the park and headed toward the street and the easement beyond. Before I got there I saw one woman jogging, we did a polite across the street dodge and went on our way. Me turning to walk down the empty easement. It's rather eerie. Yesterday at least when I reached the end of one block, there had been the family walking down the street. I'd waited until they were on the intersecting street before heading down the next easement. I even waited longer than necessary but mostly because of a small boy dressed as a - I'm not sure, but I'm guessing, gopher. It was a full furry body suit, brown and covered everything including his head - I'm assuming that it didn't cover his face but I didn't get that close. I wanted to ask in the worst way, what he was pretending to be. But - the social distancing thing. Thus, I can't tell you for sure what animal he was pretending to be but I'm betting he was at least warm.

So after today's almost 4 kilometre walk, I think that I can cross my televised exercise crew off the list. After all I walked and it is Easter. Time to enjoy the rest of the day.

But before I close, I'm sharing this picture of the morning sky. It was gorgeous. There was no other word for it. It was a crisp blue with the clouds cutting across in a way that really could and should, have been painted.


Happy Easter!









Take care, keep safe!

Ryshia


Book news? - follow me on Bookbub                                                   


   ...a world you never imagined!

Don't miss a thing - Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!


No comments: