Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Social Distancing - Day 24

It would have been nice to begin at the beginning - when all this started. But what day was that? Our lives have been shaken up and spun around. And, with all the craziness, blogging was thrown under the bus for the last few weeks of March and the first week of April. But, it was during those times that social distancing and isolation became the new norm.

So here we are:

An Easter Bunny from Easter's Past.
Day 24

Day 24 is rather an iffy number. But I'm using that number as an approximation as to how many days I've been social distancing. I was being careful before that but I can't pin a number to those earlier days.

Day 24, begins counting from the day that my MIL, affectionately known as Ma D, went into lockdown at her care home.  That was the day that I lucked out and saw her that morning. Because that afternoon, the lockdown was implemented. I don't like the idea of a lockdown but I know that it has to be done. It's been phone calls since than and reminiscing about the good old days.

Our conversations begin like this:

                        Me:  "How's it going. Whatcha doing?"
                        Ma D: "I'm reading the paper."

And so it goes from there. For Ma D lives in a world where television does not exist and hasn't since her first signs of dementia. Computer technology was something she somehow missed even though she would have been middle-aged when those first Commodores hit the market. So, we are left with her daily newspapers, daily phone calls and, of course, the awesome staff who keep her safe and keep her routine unchanged. I miss seeing her but while that could be made possible by the staff with an iPad or computer, I'm not sure that introducing foreign technology would work right now. So we stick to the telephone.

What do I miss in this new world.
1. Giving Ma D a hug.
2. Sunday breakfast with my mom.
3. Friday breakfast with friends.
4. Starbucks and Tims coffee dates.
5. Visits to the library.

Hmmm - Some Organization Is In Order.
The list of what I miss is long and I won't bore you with the details as I'm sure you have your own list. Despite that, it's not all bad. Here's, while not ideal, what I look forward to in my new - social distancing mode:
1. Telephone visits with my mom.
2. Telephone visits with Ma D.
3. Updates from my writer group on Facebook.
4. Coffee dates by computer or phone.
5. Visits to my backlog of books in the downstairs bookcases, now called, the library.






And here is the smile for the day. 

A Canadian couple from Saskatchewan get off the plane in a foreign country where they are asked where they are from, they answer:

"Saskatoon, Saskatchewan"

The other man turns to his friend and says:
"They don't speak English."

So, if bad jokes could fix anything...




Until later. 

Take care, keep safe!

Ryshia


Book news? - follow me on Bookbub                                                   


   ...a world you never imagined!

Don't miss a thing - Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!


No comments: