Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2020

What You Won't Do For Research

I've been spending one evening a week at the local police station. An odd place to spend one's evenings. But it's here I find myself since I've signed up for the Citizens Police Academy. I knew that writing romantic suspense meant that I needed to learn more about policing and crime. Surfing the net, and safely scouring the library shelves was really research on the fringes. That all changed one evening in mid-January.

So, there I am, me and a classroom spilling with enthusiastic wannabe cops. BTW do you know that the nickname, cops, has a couple of supposed reasons for existing - one was that the English Bobbies had copper buttons that flashed in the sunlight. The other... not sure.
But, I digress - right now it's me and a classroom full of people who may be pulling me over for a traffic ticket in years to come. Hopefully not, but my foot is a little heavy some days - not all, just saying.

But let's not talk traffic, that's dull compared to the topics we have covered; search and rescue, gangs, drug trafficking, explosives, canines - and there's more with still weeks to come; including my ride-along. I was telling my writer group about my new experience and one author's eyes lit up when she heard that I'd literally have a "captive" audience for my questions as the ride-along is for a twelve hour shift. Somehow, I don't think the ride along will be an opportunity to interrogate. At least not on my side of the fence. There's that old adage about backseat drivers or in this case, interrogators.

So I have learned about the city's gangs, seen the most common drugs - literally as they were passed around in baggies. I've seen a gang initiation lifted from facebook, of all places. It was frightening in its brutality. I learned about the police divers rescuing in mid winter beneath the ice. No rescue, only retrieval - count me out, wait for spring. With all the crime stats, drug lair stakeouts and gang activity info that I've been faced with - well... If I look at you sideways, don't take offence, I'm looking at everyone sideways these days.

Then there was the police dog. Yes, I know he's rough and tough but I just wanted to take him home and cook him dog biscuits. Nope, he wasn't interested in anything or anyone other than his rubber ball and his handler.

So off to the land of gangs and crime. Interesting stuff especially the gangs. After all, there was a gang in Marshal on a Mission. I'm guessing there will be a gang soon, again in another story.

Stay safe and if you're anywhere near the frozen north - keep warm.

Ryshia


Book news? - follow me on Bookbub                                                   


   ...a world you never imagined!

Don't miss a thing - Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!

No comments: