Pages

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Real Life Meets Fiction

For the last few weeks I've been going to the citizen's police academy. I figured that as a writer of romantic suspense I should know a little bit about crime and law enforcement in my own city. While listening to how crime and law enforcement evolves with technology and what the stats look like here - there's a bit of real life that has to happen.

The ride along.

I finished mine last week. it was a day run that was literally that - a run. From one end of the city to the other and back again - all day. It was a busy weekend. Unfortunately, I can't share any of it. But I was impressed by how many variables come into play in any one situation. There's numerous "hats" the police must put on in any one call. They're not just law enforcement but also psychologist, sociologist, educator.

For me, the last one really rang true - I learned a lot during that day. It was a reality check. Now, I know that when my imagination takes off, some of the facts I learned will have my feet held firmly to the ground.

The ride along was a fantastic opportunity to see how the suspense, in a romantic suspense can play out in every day life. Even more importantly, all this new information has given me ideas for stories. Stories set in places I like best - far away places, with a touch of mystery to them. 

Where am I right now? I'm on a trip that exists solely in my imagination. The trip? Afghanistan.
It's not a beach vacation by any means, my heroine can attest to that. She's on a mission that has her in the eye of danger in a way that she's never been before. Her backup is a woman she saw action with. She's there because of  a plan that's been put carefully into place and while she always knew there were variables they couldn't plan for, one she
never considered is her ex. He's arrived determined to "save the day." Unfortunately, his arrival may not only destroy everything but threaten her like nothing has before.

And with that - I'm off to see what kind of danger my heroine is in now.

Happy February 29 - enjoy your bonus day!

Until later. 

Dream big and travel safe.


Ryshia


Book news? - follow me on Bookbub                                                   


   ...a world you never imagined!

Don't miss a thing - Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!


No comments: