Pages

Friday, May 8, 2020

Flashback Friday - Coffee Off The Grid


One job had me spending some time on the road. It was a chance to visit some interesting and sometimes, quirky, small towns. Maybe, to be fair, they weren't so much quirky as they had residents with interesting customs. Or maybe it's just easier to dive under the surface in a town than it is a city. Any way you look at it, Abernethy, Saskatchewan had the most interesting custom that I think I've stumbled on in all my road trips - past and present.

So here it is: - Coffee off the Grid


Today I was on the road for work and off to visit one of my favourite Saskatchewan places, Abernethy, Saskatchewan. And it was there that I experienced coffee time. Not coffee time, like I had experienced anywhere before. There was no visit to a cafe or local coffee shop. No. We went to someone's house where coffee was on every day for anyone in town, or in my case out-of-town, who showed up.


Coffee is served in the owner's gar
age, as long as the weather holds. When the weather turns cold, everyone moves to the house but coffee is still served. Every day, 10 o'clock, rain or shine, as long as the household occupants are home - coffee is served!

And show up they did. One senior even arrived on an ATV Artic quad which he parked on the neat concrete driveway right beside our car. Others walked but soon we were all ensconced in the garage on plastic lawn chairs, nursing hot coffee and being offered fresh muffins by our fantastic hostess.

So, in my comfortable, plastic woven rocker and with coffee in hand, I sat back, careful not to rock into the car parked just behind me, and enjoyed the experience.

Coffee anyone?

Ryshia

Take care, keep safe!

Ryshia



My latest release - check it out!
 What are you reading?
A mother's tragic diagnosis
A daughter's life on hold.
An ending and a new beginning...

Book news? - follow me on Bookbub                                                   


   ...a world you never imagined!

Don't miss a thing - Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!

No comments: