Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2019

In Canada We Skate!



I was walking through a sporting goods store yesterday when hidden behind the skating and hockey equipment section came a woman's voice. That voice had an accent that I first thought was German but then devolved to what might be eastern European. I say this because of what she said next... like skating was something new that must be experienced.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't figure skates this woman was after.
"In Canada we skate. Pick out some skates." 

The woman's voice was firm, no-nonsense, no argument in its tone. And, it got my attention, both the words and the inflection. Especially when followed by the childish voice hidden between racks of hockey equipment and skates. 

"No."

The no's of the child, the demands of the woman, went back and forth as I walked by; and as I tried not to look like I was eavesdropping when I obviously was. But it was a conversation like no other and one that made me smile. The woman was insistent that skates would be purchased and that the child would skate. Because - that's what you did here in Canada. She said that more than once. 

Interesting.

I didn't know that Canada was defined as a land full of skaters. But maybe from a different point of view, it was. After all, most communities in the city have at least one skating rink. There's stories of NHL stars of years gone by who skated on frozen dugouts. And, even I still have a pair of skates in the basement, gathering dust - just in case I get the urge to skate. I'm vowing this year. Of course, I also vowed last year.

My thoughts are broken by another even more empathetic no from the hidden child who is still clearly determined to dodge the skating issue.

"We skate," the woman said firmly as she emerged from between the aisles. She looked at me calmly and then disappeared again, I assume to coral the child and have him try on a pair of skates. 

If it's outdoor skating she's insisting on - she's going to be disappointed. It's so far been  rather snowless and too warm for good ice, at least outdoors. Right now, we should be in winter boots but the streets and sidewalks are still relatively clear of snow and ice. I don't know if that's good or bad for the invisible child. From his answers I'm guessing good unless the woman I'm guessing is his mother has plans of hauling him to an indoor rink.

"No. I don't want to," says the childish voice again - and now with even more determination.

Skating might or might not be as Canadian as toques but he's made it clear - that doesn't mean that he needs to be a stereotype.

The conversation wasn't over... yes - no - maybe....  I took the high road - the exit door and headed to my car, finally - minding my own business.

Winter - the good, the bad and the funny!




If you haven't ordered your copy of The Tears We Never Cried - it might be perfect for curling up after a long day or for a gift for that illusive someone.


 Current contests:
Enter this contest and give me and other authors a follow on social media and be entered to win a gift card. Fessing up - there's a number of social medial links you can follow us on - I'd prefer Bookbub, just saying. But in the end - fingers crossed that you enter and win! 




Ryshia


Book news? - follow me on Bookbub                                                   


   ...a world you never imagined!

Don't miss a thing - Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout!

The Dead Sea, a tourist and a whole other  story!
I'm hanging out on:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ryshiakennie/
Twitter:  @ryshiakennie
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Author.RyshiaKennie/

2 comments:

Ryshia Kennie said...

test

ptclayton said...

I followed on all counts and I have not read the book as i need a print book as i have crippled fingers due to a disease that i have been batttling for 34-yrs RSD but i do love to review on mondays on goodreads and amazon if i have read a book love all the sites and especially love the blog pls enter me.peggy clayton ptclayton2@aol.com