Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

Dishtowel Will Travel

It's hard to write on vacation or maybe that's just an excuse.  Maybe I've been plodding with my word count because all of a sudden writing hasn't been much fun.  Now don't get me wrong, I still want to write - need to write even.  But I expect the words will just miraculously, effortlessly plop out, pouring across the page in a vast first rough draft that only needs some sprucing, tuning and sprucing

again.  But that's not quite how it's working.

All of a sudden there's expectations.

Up until now I wrote, submitted and wrote again.  I was master of my own game.  Now, while I still am master I've heard rumblings that people may expect things, novels done maybe so that there's something to submit, proposals offered, so there's something to write and maybe - eureka - publish.

Expectations - one more step on the ladder, one step closer and I didn't expect to freeze.

Freeze - There's not a snowflake on the ground, nor will there be here in sunny Arizona so there's no reason to freeze.

I gave myself a stern talking to - it was the twentieth or so in the series.  This one finally stuck.  I don't know if it was the dishtowel in my hand or the latest review of my last book.  But it all got me thinking and all of a sudden it was there, it was back.  One thousand words later and a blog post - I've got it back - not my inspiration but my discipline, and the inspiration, well I suspect it's following right along behind.  It's not going to have much choice - it's that or be dragged.

Who knew that a little discipline came in the form of a dish towel?  What keeps you going?

Ryshia
www.ryshiakennie.com

No comments: