Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Romance - Wills and Kate Style

Wills and Kate, a royal romance that landed, as the Brits might say, on my tellie.  

I almost got up at 2:00 a.m. to watch the coverage of the royal wedding.  Almost... 

Instead I taped it and watched the event mid-stream at shortly after 6:00 a.m.  Still, a crazy hour to get up but it was a crazy event.  As they say, the event of the century. It was amazing the crowd that gathered - the crowd physically there and the crowd that gathered at a distance around the world.  This wasn't the usual media event.  Not at least what I'm used to hearing.  It seems to be mayhem of all kinds that attracts media attention lately, wars and civil unrest or natural disasters exploding in all corners of the globe.  Sometimes I think there is no good news out there.  And then this....

A future monarch gets married.  The breaking of ancient rules of blood and pomp and circumstance.  Or was it just a beautiful romance?

It was plain old-fashioned romance in high style and we all tuned in.  Okay, not all of us but you know where I'm going - many, many.   So many manies as to mean that whole networks in a variety of countries have been aflutter with the event for most of the week leading up to it and much of the hours after. 
  
Not to repeat myself - never mind, I will.  It was all about romance and I loved it.  Although I have to admit that as a romantic suspense author I was also fascinated by the security issues right down to securing the sewer caps - but that's another story.  Believe me, security is a many faceted endeavor.  As I learned from a monarch visit to the prairies, it's amazing what security personnel can hear with their listening devices!  Again, another story... 


But back to the wedding, loved the simplicity of the dress, the beauty of the choir, the Bishop of London's words to the couple, and who couldn't love the setting in the history steeped elegance of Westminster Abbey?  But what I was disappointed with...  the kiss on the balcony.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those that expects the bend her over his arm sort of go for it Hollywood kiss.  And I wasn't one of the ones waiting for "the kiss".   Because really, I didn't expect it to be much more than staged.  And I don't say that in a bad way.  But after all, this was a kiss that occurred eight years into a relationship, in front of millions of people, and over an hour after the completion of the nuptials.  The kiss wasn't spontaneous.  It was expected.  So as a staged event - I expected a smidgen of drama - where was the drama?  Just a wee tiny bit, maybe a kiss just a little longer than it was, something.  I know that sounds contradictory but somewhere between one brief kiss and the dip...  Sigh.  

I know - two kisses have to count for something.  Either way - it looks to me like a love match. 

And you - wasn't it romantic or....?

Ryshia
www.ryshiakennie.com

No comments: