Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 - Both Feet Into the New Year

The quiet lull I was enjoying only hours ago is heading into the celebration of the end of one year and the beginning of another.   New Year's Eve.  A new year, is it the beginning of new things or the continuation of things as they were?

Today I have a beautiful poster of writing goals.  I think we all need that, not writing goals necessarily but a reminder of where we are going.  I knew that before I was e-mailed the poster but I never realized the impact of having things so creatively worded.  Set for hanging, right in front of me where I can be reminded very day that I promised before the second week of January ends I will have the latest story ready for critique.  I'm already squirming at that - surely the third week of January or maybe the end - not!  And the poster reminds me that no that's not good enough - get with it.

There's reminders everywhere but I'll mention one - a blogger who reminded me to shoot for the starts.  Bob over at Satisfying Retirement surely has.  Check out his blog post where he's laid it on the line.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

And Oh over at This Writing Life...  I'm late in checking in but make mine a cup of peppermint tea - sounds lovely and I've never tried it - a new year, what better time.

Me, I'm going to settle in to a toast to the new year, a beautiful supper with friends and stay in out of the cold which has dived to uncomfortable lows even for my hardy prairie taste.

Happy New Year all!  How are you planning to make your mark in 2011?  One goal at a time or with gusto?

Ryshia
www.ryshiakennie.com

4 comments:

Bob Lowry said...

"Shoot for the stars"..I hadn't thought of my goals list for 2011 that way, but it sounds rather dramatic so I'll adopt it.

Thanks, Ryshia, for the kind words and link. Let's both race into the new year with goals set high.

Ryshia Kennie said...

Dramatic is good don't you think? Shooting for the stars or goals - I prefer the stars. So I'm racing along with you - maybe we'll get other bloggers to join in. Happy New year!

Lisa said...

Will have to find a writer's goal poster for myself! Great post, as always Ryshia! Lisa

Ryshia Kennie said...

Lisa - Mine as a quote - provided by my cp - you can borrow it for your own poster if you like:

Remember...Dreams Are Goals with a Deadline