Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Milestones

Last night in a quaint little restaurant tucked into a row of some of the oldest buildings in Regina, a watermelon martini was the celebratory marker for reaching the midway count. Some days one needs a reward for reaching a word count, for pushing through that point in a story when the characters have not quite come into their own. Yesterday, they briefly both emerged and then slid back into the clay and left me, the writer on my own. That happens sometimes. Today, Jon emerged again and happily began orchestrating the story, trouble is he decided to rearrange a few already written bits until they were to his satisfaction. Today, the story has become Jon's. I imagine tomorrow, he and the heroine, Lira will be fighting over it. In the meantime, I am still savoring the thought of that delightful watermelon martini.

Here's to milestones!
Ryshia

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Cogratulations!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the milestones. Right now, my characters are still being put together with my YA, ideas bouncing around in my head. I've got a few things already hammered out. I know it's going to come together. I love it when that happens. ;-)

Ryshia Kennie said...

Next to the flash of inspiration that makes a beginning, isn't the characters emerging into life the next best thing? You never know when it's going to happen and it's always amazing when it does.

Teresa said...

Where do you get a watermelon martini at this time of year? Does it cost a million dollars? You make them sound SOOO good!
Words are looking good for day 17. You're over half way there and the month is just half over. Keep it up! I think at this point I would just be copying from the dictionary!
(aardvark abacus abalone - there's three already! Ha!)

Ryshia Kennie said...

Watermelon martinis - they are soooo good! They should be a million dollars, but that would mean I'd never taste one!