Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Trip of a Musical Sort

"Without music life would be a mistake." ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


That quote pretty much sums up how I feel about music. Music is what inspires me to write. Music meshes with past experiences and is the trigger for so many memories. Music lead me through teenage angst, music marks all the milestones in my life, good and bad, and it is the catalyst to make me dance around the kitchen for no reason other than that it's just that kind of song.


Music is important to me in many ways but today, on a road trip alone, I discovered how much fun it can be or how varied the music becomes when you're an audience of one. Today, as Three Day's Grace follows Aerosmith who follows Paint, I'm in musical heaven.



There is no one to argue about channels, gripe about genres or share a favourite song with. I am truly alone. As I sing through the Hair Musical, "Let the Sun Shine In" - my voice rusty. I don't sing much. Okay, okay, I just can't sing and I have consideration for others. Seriously, it's embarrassing - it's that bad. So alone, I indulge in the pleasure of belting out a song for which, not only can I not hold the melody, I don't know the words. But that doesn't stop me. As I flip channels and jump from ACDC's "Hells Bells" to a Tchaikovsky piano solo, that mercifully has no words, I'm having a blast. Sometimes road trips, even the same old road to the same old destination - can be fun!









Make a routine fun today - shake it up, just a little - I dare you!







"All deep things are song. It seems somehow the very central essence of us, song; as if all the rest were but wrappages and hulls!"

Thomas Carlyle



Ryshia

1 comment:

Pamela Morgan said...

Great blog. I'll have to visit more often. I also love music. Many different kinds.