Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Life is a Fickle Traveling Companion

Today an every day journey was reframed. An untimely death reminded me that life is short and that the days of my life are sliding by with little accounting. That’s how my journey began, fretting about unmet goals and unexpected tragedy. It began with the reminder that it’s possible, even likely, that destiny will decide to cut our life trip short without any consideration to how we might feel.

It’s times like this that make me long for the solitude of nature. So with my dog, Rourke in tow, or was that Rourke with me in tow. I headed as close to nature as I could easily get without adding to global warming and starting up a gasoline engine. Between the highway that skirts the city and the last row of houses, there's a path, overgrown with quack grass, and bracketed by trees and straggling bushes. Nature goes crazy here, in the silence heavy with the roar and rush of traffic that edges the city. Here you can turn off the traffic, take a sweet scented breath of meadow grass and meditate, about life, or about nothing - mostly about nothing.


The picture shows how easily things can be reframed, perceptions changed. I appear to be walking within an arbor of green, lush grass, not on an overgrown path on the fringes of the city.

Today’s journey gives me purpose. No day shall be wasted. That's what I'll do to honor a life unexpectedly ended. I will make good use of the hours left me whether in play or work or just a leisurely stroll in quiet meditation. I will have direction.

To a life with purpose.

Safe travels

Ryshia

"The wise man knows that it is better to sit on the banks of a remote mountain stream than to be an emperor of the whole world."
Zhaung Tzi

No comments: