Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Be Prepared

You'd think having gone through Girl Guides so many years ago I'd remember - "Be Prepared". I believe that was the motto. But this week's picture is a good example of not being prepared.

It's rare to find a patch of prairie these days. Most of it has been cultivated or developed in one way or another. Today we found that little piece of heaven. Because that's what real prairie is, heaven. Wild barley and rye tickle your legs, spearmint's spicy scent and imprints of the past whisper on the breeze.

And then it happened!

The camera's battery died.

So this trip all I have to offer is a rather dark photograph of what was really an incredible prairie scene. You'll have to imagine the wild roses, clumps of sage and camomile and the tall grass that hides it all. I remember a long time ago we had picnics and sat cross-legged, unseen by the outside world. I'd take a picture to hold that memory but did I mention the battery?

Be Prepared.

Ryshia

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes."- Marcel Proust

1 comment:

Wendy Gail said...

You paint a beautiful picture of a prairie landscape! Thanks for placing me there. I can smell the earthy scent of the land, and feel the tall grass tickling my legs.