Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2019

What was I thinking?

I discovered the picture as I culled that ever-growing black hole of pictures that are just eating up space on my computer. It's thee picture, you know the one...that OMG moment it gives you as you stare in horror.

What was I thinking? 

I had the option of quietly walking away from the reminder. Sometimes what we do in the name of promotion should be forgotten and sometimes it needs to be remembered so that we never - ever do it again.


The timeframe: shortly after my second book was published.

The plan: To sell books at a rummage sale dressed as the  characters in From the Dust.

Some background - From the Dust is a prairie romance set in the depression era. So, sticking to the era - we attempted to recreate the characters.

Really?

Bad idea.

How bad? 

Well, first off, if my hero had really looked like my sister-in-law dressed to look like her idea of him, he might have been cast in a comedy and not in a romance. And Eva - well, I think she might not have been taken quite as seriously had she really worn that hat - and that dress and....  There's more I can point out but let's just say that live and learn takes on a whole new angle when one sees this picture.

For me, this Sunday -  it was good for a laugh.  And for all you fledgling authors out there, take note. There's promotion and then there's...moments when you can't take any of it too seriously. And as the saying goes - what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.




Coming this fall from Harlequin Intrigue:  American Armour Miniseries


Ryshia
www.ryshiakennie.com

...a world she never imagined!





Keep up with it all:
News, giveaways and a bit of fun! Sign up for my newsletter The Walkabout



No comments: