Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

What Was I Thinking?


The box of author books has arrived and I'm thrilled except for one thing...  Something to remember for future.  When picking that promo picture - going for that natural rather than poised and stuffy picture - fine.  But note to self - look at it in black and white before making your choice.

Why?

Apparently there is a difference!  So should you read my new book and take a look at the promo picture just turn that page and chalk it up to a lesson learned.  Squinting into the sun while on vacation does not transpose well in certain kinds of medium.  And please be gentle and leave it up to me to say, "What was I thinking?"
                                                                          A Lake in Thailand
It's been a week of lessons learned from organizing a book launch that for a time hitched and hiccoughed and seemed like it would never get off the ground to e-mails that went unanswered.  Then I read that readers were tired of being inundated with promotional material, that contests didn't get their attention, that give aways meant nothing.  After reading that I debated dropping the promo monster, leaving him snorting and gasping in the hallway and just getting on the cheapest flight to anywhere with a stack of good books and a well earned break.

I get not wanting to follow an author who just trumpets "buy my book."  But the rest - what is an author to do?  Because you dreamt it does not mean they will come!


On the shores of Tonle Sap Lake, Cambodia

So I've determined that there's nothing to do but to carry on - keep pounding the pavement and when I get completely frustrated just work on writing the best book I can.  And that's what I'm doing this morning - doing what I love best - writing!

And this afternoon, while thinking of foreign shores, I'm going out to support an author and buy a book - someone I've never read before!

And you - what is your day looking like?

Ryshia
www.ryshiakennie.com

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Well...if there is one thing I have learned over time, it's that hindsight is 20/20. So take the lesson and you can either 1)adopt it as your own and learn from it, or 2) run away screaming and make the mistake over and over. I suggest the first one, although in some cases the second seems like a better choice! I'm sure the picture is fine - we are always a much harsher critic of ourselves than anyone else. I won't be buying the book for the picture anyway - it's the story I'm after!! Is it really just one week away?

Ryshia Kennie said...

It is true isn't it - we are a harsher critic of ourselves than others.