Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Saskatchewan - Coffee Time

Today I was on the road and off to visit one of my favourite Saskatchewan places, Abernethy, Saskatchewan. And it was there that I experienced coffee time. Not coffee time, like I had experienced anywhere before. There was no visit to a cafe or local coffee shop. No. We went to someone's house where coffee was on every day for anyone in town, or in my case out-of-town, who showed up.Coffee is served in the garage, as long as the weather holds. When the weather turns cold, everyone moves to the house but coffee is still served. Every day, 10 o'clock, rain or shine, as long as the household occupants are home - coffee is served!

And show up they did. One senior even arrived on an ATV Artic quad which he parked on the neat concrete driveway right beside our car. Others walked but soon we were all ensconced in the garage on plastic lawn chairs, nursing hot coffee and being offered fresh muffins by our fantastic hostess.

So, in my comfortable, plastic woven rocker and with coffee in hand, I sat back, careful not to rock into the car parked just behind me, and enjoyed the experience.

Coffee anyone?

Ryshia

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I think that when I grow up that's what I want to do. The relaxed, yet routined, day is very appealing. When do holidays begin again?

Ryshia Kennie said...

Isn't it fantastic to be drawn into another life - a slower pace? Makes you dream, what if.